Gear Safety Guide
Gear Buying Checklist
Day Care Safety
Child Safety Websites
Cabinet & Drawer
Doors & Windows
More Helpful Information
If You Are Buying a Bassinet or Cradle
- Look for one with a sturdy bottom and a wide, stable base.
- Follow the manufacturer's guidelines on the appropriate weight and size of babies who can safely use the bassinet or cradle.
- Check to make sure that spaces between spindles are no larger than 2 3/8 in. (60 mm).
- Check screws and bolts periodically to see if they are tight.
- If the product has legs that fold for storage, make sure that effective locks are provided to ensure that the legs do not accidentally fold while in use.
- Mattresses and padding should fit snugly and be firm and smooth. Never use pillows.
- Decorative bows and ribbons should be trimmed short and stitched securely to prevent strangulation.
- Swinging cradles should have a way to keep them from swinging once a baby is asleep.